Monday, September 17, 2012

Aunt Jemima Pancakes

During our visit this week with the grandsons, when Monday morning rolled around and it was time for them to head back to school, I decided to make bacon and a big stack of pancakes for breakfast.  There  is nothing like waking up to the wonderful smell of bacon cooking.

After finishing cooking, I went upstairs to wake the boys.  While the boys were getting ready for the day, I headed back downstairs just in time to see the boy's little black cocker-spaniel, Molly,  standing on her tip-toes, stretching as far as she could,  eating her way around the bottom circumference of the platter of pancakes that were sitting on the table.  Good thing I decided to make a double batch of pancakes that morning, and was able to salvage the ones on top.


This is a photo of Lawson walking Molly, (the pancake eating dog)  during a morning visit with us on another day awhile back.

I always make pancakes with good ole Aunt Jemima Pancake mix, and have used that mix for as many years as I can remember.  The recipe on the box tells exactly how to make the pancake batter.  Several years ago I started adding Vanilla to the mix, and it gives them even more flavor.

On this particular Monday morning I just made regular pancakes.  But on days when time permits,  and when the grandchildren are visiting, it is fun to make "happy face" pancakes.  The children always get a kick out of them.


Maybe everyone makes these happy face pancakes, but just in case, the pictures below show how extremely simple they are to make.  The photos fairly well tell the story ... With a spoon, drop the eyes, nose, and drip the mouth from side to side.  


Cook the eyes, nose and mouth long enough to be browned.  Probably a minute or two. Then, pour additional batter to cover the "face" and extend out a little, making sure the "face" is completely covered with batter as in the below photo.


I can remember my mother telling me, "When the bubbles appear on top of the batter," as in the below photo, "it is time to turn the pancakes over."


Well! Here we are - all finished!  It almost does not seem right to eat this little guy!  He reminds me a little of The Gingerbread Man.


I have a couple more recipes the boys enjoyed, and I will include them later on......
Well! I'm so glad you stopped by for a visit on the beginning of this new week.  I hope you had a very nice day and that you will stop in again.





2 comments:

  1. Oh, how cute, Pat! Wish I had seen this last weekend when we had pancakes. I'll definitely try it next time the grandchildren are here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, good, Janie! They are a lot of fun to make. Send a picture!

    ReplyDelete