Monday, June 17, 2013

Delicious Caramel Corn

One of our favorite family treats are popcorn balls and caramel corn.  One of my grandsons, Dillon especially loves popcorn balls.  Then every once in awhile I will also make caramel corn for everyone.  The recipe I use is the very last recipe in the below cookbook.


Many years ago I came across this local cookbook called "Bobwhite Quail & Buttermilk Biscuits."  I probably purchased it in one of our local gift shops.  

It is a recipe collection of recipes used to entertain at one of the South's most historically famous plantations  located about 16 miles from the heart of downtown Tallahassee.  This recipe collection was written by a former cook of Horseshoe Plantation.  The plantation is now privately owned but as far as I  know it is still a hunting plantation.

Complete recipe will follow just in case you would like to make this recipe.


       My daughter Debi who is very health conscious suggested I use the "Newman's Own" popcorn. 
  The rest of the ingredients you will need:

            

 Pop the popcorn and place in a very large oven proof pan. 
I doubled the recipe and that is why there is so much popcorn here.


 Add the amount of pecans you would like.

      
      When all of the ingredients are cooked you are ready to pour the syrup over the popped popcorn.


Stir and stir until all of the popcorn is well coated with the syrup.  Bake in 300 degree oven for 30 minutes stirring the popcorn after 15 minutes to make sure all popcorn is completely coated.


Caramel Corn
Ingredients:
3 quarts popped popcorn - 1/3 cup raw popcorn  (I use microwave popcorn)
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup margarine - I used butter
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup light Karo syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda - I left this out
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

  • Combine popcorn and pecans in a lightly greased 15x10 inch jelly roll pan.  Mix and set aside.
  • Melt butter over low heat in medium saucepan.
  • Add brown sugar, Karo syrup and salt.
  • Bring to a rolling boil and boil for 5 minutes without stirring.
  • Remove from heat.
  • Stir in vanilla and baking soda.
  • Pour syrup over popcorn, stirring well till evenly coated.
  • Bake in 300 degree oven for 30 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes.
  • Note:  It will be sticky when first removed from the oven, but it hardens quickly.
  • Cool and store in zip-lock bags.
I often double this recipe using three popped bags of microwave popcorn and then double the rest of the ingredients. 

If you decide to make this recipe I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.  
Wishing you a happy Monday with many blessings wherever you may be.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment