Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Turtle Cheesecake Recipe

In a recent conversation with my daughter Stephanie I asked her what kind of cake she would like for her upcoming family Birthday party.  She immediately said she would like to have Turtle Cheesecake.  She then said,  "You remember Mom, that delicious cake we had a long time ago."  

Gosh, but it had been a long time since we make that particular cake.  It was surprising to me that she remembered.....

I knew this recipe was in my recipe book collection somewhere, and of all things, it was the first recipe book I put my hands on.

Seen below is the cover of this Christmas with Southern Living Cookbook.   We see the cover photo with the cheesecake my daughter was talking about.  

Just in case you are interested, I looked at the inside cover of this book for the ordering information.  Since this book is many years old now I'm not sure if it is still available.

Christmas with Southern Living Cookbook
First Printing 1997
Oxymoor House, Inc.
2100 Lakeshore Drive
Birmingham, Alabama


This recipe does take a little bit longer than the average cake, but it really is worth it.


I used Chocolate Graham Crackers for the crust.   As you can see 
you will need to have a 9-inch springform pan.


My grandson Chase carefully placed all of the 
Happy Birthday candles on the finished cake for his Mom.


It does not look quite as yummy as the recipe book cover, but it was very good 
and most especially of all the birthday girl loved it!


Not being sure all of the grandsons would enjoy a cheesecake I also made a chocolate 
layer cake just in case.  Yes, it definitely does have that 'homemade' look.


Turtle Cheesecake Recipe


Ingredients
2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
¼ cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted

3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 ¼ cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 (8-ounce) carton sour cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

¼ cup butter
1 cup (6-ounces) semisweet chocolate morsels

1 (12-ounce) jar caramel topping
1 cup chopped pecans

Combine first 3 ingredients; stir well.   Firmly press mixture on bottom and l inch up sides of a lightly greased 9-inch springform pan.  Bake at 325 degrees for 10 minutes.  Cool in pan on a wire rack.

Beat cream cheese at medium speed of an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add 1 ¼ cups sugar, beating well.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping sides and bottom as needed.  Stir in sour cream and vanilla.  Pour batter into prepared crust.  Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 5 minutes.  (Center will not be completely set.)  Turn oven off; partially open oven door.  Leave cheesecake in oven 1 hour.  Remove to wire rack to cool completely.  Cover and chill at least 8 hours.  Carefully remove sides of pan;  transfer cheesecake to serving plate.

Melt ¼ cup butter in small saucepan; add chocolate morsels.  Stir over low heat just until chocolate melts and mixture blends.  Spread warm chocolate mixture over cheesecake; chill 15 minutes.

Combine caramel topping and pecans in a small saucepan.  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, over medium heat; boil 2 minutes.   Remove from heat, and cool 5 minutes.  Spread over chocolate; cool completely.  Serve immediately, or cover and chill.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daughter Stephanie,  the Birthday girl,  getting ready to 
blow out the candles on her Turtle Cheesecake.
A fun time was had by all!


Thank you for stopping by for a visit,  and for those of you who enjoy baking,  I do hope this recipe is an inspiration for you too.

Wishing you a happy Tuesday with many blessings for the rest of your week wherever you may be.

3 comments:

  1. Oh! You've just saved me!!! My daughter's birthday is on Sunday and this is the perfect cake for her. I am so glad I happened upon your blog....I will be back to visit again. Best wishes, Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! How nice! I do hope you have fun making the cake and that your daughter enjoys and has a wonderful birthday. Thank you for stopping by for a visit ... Please do come again. Blessings, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember begging my grandma to help me make this back in 1997 when I was 8. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete