In our last Sweet Southern Days post we talked about making curtains for "The Little House." We have been in the process of remodeling the little house down the hill for quite some time. I have shared the steps along the way in previous posts. If you would like to see the remodeling process you can clink on the link below.
In the last post we shared the downstairs curtain making information. Today we are going upstairs and we will see how the curtains were made for the French doors leading out to the little upstairs patio.
The photo shown below shows a large portion of the the upstairs living quarters. And, you can see the finished curtains at the end of the room.
As discussed in previous posts the room shown in these photos is a combination living space which includes the living room, kitchen, dining and a small bathroom off to the left.
As seen in the previous post about making the downstairs curtains, I used the pattern seen below for the downstairs and extended the jabot length of the pattern for these double doors seen above.
In the below photos we see a closer look at the finished door curtains.
The name of this fabric is Canterbury Red "Ainsworth"
Equestrian Hunt Scene Designer Fabric by Ralph Lauren.
This fabric can be found by calling the listed number at the site below:
The below photo shows the entire pattern of the fabric when the bolt is rolled out.
My husband was attending a meeting outside of Washington, DC. In his off time we went over to Alexandria, Virginia and were sightseeing around Old Town. We happened to see a fabric store. Knowing I was looking for fabric for the upstairs little house we went in to look around. We loved this fabric from the first moment we spotted it, and did not have to look at anything else. I went home, measured the windows and called them back with the fabric order. I also ordered the matching trim seen in some of the below photos.
If you saw the first post you will see these curtains were made just like the downstairs bedroom curtains but with different fabric. However, I made the jabot sides longer because of the longer door.
They were put together just like the others curtains including stapling to a board, which would be placed on the wall with an L-shaped bracket. The lining to the fabric is the same color as the lighter portion of the walls.
To break up the pattern a little bit I added this section in the middle.
Since these doors open out this style works well with an open door.
In the below photo we see the other end of the room which has shorter double windows. I wanted to use a different more casual pattern for the back part of the room and went looking online for a pattern that would seem appropriate.
If you like to sew and want to find some really beautiful patterns for the home, you might like to click on the link below:
The below photo shows the M'Fay curtain pattern I used for these windows.
This was an especially easy pattern to make because the pattern was a rod pocket design.
Thank goodness I have a large table in the dining room.
This table really makes a nice pattern cutting space.
As you can see the pattern details are very easy to follow.
The fabric had to be folded this way because of being cut on the bias
which makes them hang so nicely at the window.
Then after lining and turning the cut out curtain section the trim was added.
In the below photo you can get an idea of how the curtains fit on the curtain rod.
After placing all of the curtain sections on the rod my husband installed the rod into place. I forgot to take any photos of making the inserts you see in this picture. But they too were very easy to make.
I'm just about finished with the remodel but still do need to make some pillows for the couch.
It was our great pleasure to meet all of the highly skilled people who all helped complete this project. First our wonderful builder Susan. She is no bigger than a pretzel, but has the ability to take on any section of the project with ease. She is a true Southern girl and many of her suggestions along the way showed her Southern influence.
We have great confidence in the highly skilled working folks who helped us with this project. They truly reflect what a great country our America still is, from the floor installers, the granite people, the painters, the electricians, the air-conditioning people, the floor tile folks, the carpenters, the furniture refinishers, the cabinet repair folks, the leather repair people, the appliance folks and the nice folks who helped us with some of the accessory selections. And last, but not least, our wonderful daughter who took time from her busy schedule to take on the huge project of making those items for the bedrooms. Our sincere thanks to all involved. May God bless all of you.
Thank you for visiting and walking through all the fun steps of remodeling this little house.
Wishing you a happy weekend with many blessings wherever you may be.